Wednesday 2 November 2016

A day in the life of...Harvey Nichols Ladieswear Department Manager

Tom Myers, Department Manager for Ladieswear
Instagram: tom__myers
We grabbed the super-busy and super-stylish Tom for a quick chat at BOSS HQ during a casting for Harvey Nichols' Britalia show on Saturday 12th November.

What I do…I’m the Department Manager for Ladieswear, so I look after the first floor of Harvey Nichols in Manchester: ladieswear, personal shopping and collect-in-store.

On a normal day… A typical day for me is very varied: one day I can be doing pay roll, the next day casting for a fashion show, or going on buying trips to make sure I’ve got the right collection for my clients. Within my job I look after all five departments in ladieswear.

How I got where I am… I started at Harvey Nichols 13 years ago when I was a student studying fashion buying. I studied at Manchester University, which is what most of my part-time staff are studying now. I became a personal shopper within a year which I did for 10 years and I’ve worked my way up and been promoted. It’s something I fell into. I studied buying but that job involves a lot of excel spreadsheets and I think I like the interaction with people too much.

What I love most about my job…It’s got to be the fashion. That is the main reason that I’m still at Harvey Nichols because we’re the best at fashion. We have probably the best collections in Manchester. That’s what I love – the clothes. I’ve got a great team and a great team of assistant managers as well. There’s never a day where I think ‘Urgh, I don’t want to go to work today!’

If you want my job…You have to be super organised because if you let one of the balls that you’re juggling drop, then everything will fall down around you. I feel like I’m constantly running around doing something because there is a lot to do. So yeah, be organised.


In my downtime…Cottonopolis is my absolute favourite bar and restaurant. I love the food – oh my God, if you haven't you need to eat there. Pretty much like everyone else right now I love The Walking Dead – I almost cried at the latest episode. I was watching it on my own as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment